Thursday, May 23, 2013

Don't fly around in your house

After an extensive period of mining I started getting more and more interested in the market. I wanted to keep progressing in making Isk so this seemed the logical next step. With a few hundred million in my wallet I started station trading like a nutcase in and around Rens. Hours were spent in front of market and wallet windows trying to keep maximum orders out. Slowly but fairly I started making my own little bit of profit but the buy orders didn't get filled in fast enough. Having wandered mostly in and around Heimatar I decided to take my trading to the next level and left rens for the infamous system Jita.

I didn't really know what to expect. I've been there before on two brief occasions but only for picking up some stuff and I hauled ass out of there as fast as I could. But to my surprise nothing happened on the way there. I started setting up my buy orders again and put my alt into the dodixie trading hub to sell the imported stuff. The pace was picking up and the profits rolled in. I noticed Jita wasn't that big of a deal as they made of it in all those stories I've read. Countless of hauling runs went spotless with almost never anything significant to report. The few times I was targeted I managed to warp away in time before the lock on. Starting to feel comfortable in my runs, I thought I could outrun any encounter as long as I stayed on keyboard. So the money train rode on and I accumulated some various contacts of traders and manufacturers.

On a certain day I received different contracts of modules in bulk amount at a very low price. I couldn't be more excited, especially when I calculated an estimated profit of half of my wallet. But first I had to scrape every Isk I worked for to complete the contract. That wasn't that big of a deal, all the modules were T2's and in high demand so I should make my money back pretty fast. The only thing left to do was to transport it all from Jita to Dodixie. I managed to put it all into a wreathe with nothing fitted besides 3 cargo hold expanders. After all, I managed to do numerous hauling trips with this setup so why change a winning formula. Without thinking about it much I undocked and headed for Dodixie. I pressed Alt Tab after increasing the audio volume so I was still able to hear the targeting sound if anything should occur. I kept switching between screens every time I jumped so I felt pretty secure.

After a while, almost half into the trip, I entered a new system and started to initiate the warpdrive to warp to the next gate. I was checking some market prices and my screen was cluttered with windows but I was still able to focus on the overview and local. As soon as I decloaked came the targeting warning. No problem I'll warp away in time. But then a few things happened all at once.

I had engaged in warp but there was a bang a tenth of a second before I jumped. "Hm…", starting to close a few of my windows I saw my mail symbol blinking. I received a notification that I had acquired kill rights on someone. I still didn't fully realize what had happened. At first I thought concord killed him and I got kill rights because he tried to target me. Guess that illustrates my knowledge of the crimewatch at the time.
Just to be sure I closed all my windows interrupting a clear view of my ship and started to zoom in. And there it was, a shiny green pod still in warp and more than a third of my total assets or 780 million isk blown to dust.

How could this be? No way I was targeted this quick. All the different feelings I experienced at that moment left me in shock. I didn't know what to feel, anger or just amazement that a game can leave such an impression on its players. When I woke up from being paralyzed I contacted my previous attacker to inquire about what,just had happened. He kindly explained to me that he received buffs from a friend to be able to target that fast. He also scanned me a few jumps earlier with a passive targeting system fitted so I couldn't notice him.

I thanked him for the information and crawled back to my home station in Dodixie, face-palming the whole trip.
So kids, don't transport all of your assets at once in a T1 industrial buy at least a Prowler.

1 comment:

  1. Props for educating yourself and not ragequitting over that, EVE is for people like you :)

    ReplyDelete