Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Exploration revisited

It's been quiet here because I've been playing as much as I can since the release of odyssey. Being very wary about all the new features I saw during the demo on the fanfest stream and all the stuff I read about the new expansion. As I already wrote in a previous post, I didn't have much time to play Eve in the weeks prior to Odyssey and no chance to try out the new features on Sisi. So I took a few days off work following the release date so I had enough time to check it all out and make up my mind for myself.

It took a few days before my corpmates convinced me to try out exploration. I was prejudiced from the start. All I remembered from scanning was the tedious management of the probes and losing signals or being stuck at 94% signal. Also the only time I got close to a rage quit was while scanning. So without a desire to experience that again, I started my exploration odyssey part 2. Curious for the unknown I set off to some desolate low sec system, reading the tutorial by Ali Aras on Mittani.com on the way there.

The first thing I noticed was the easiness how everything worked. Probes went their way automatically and I didn't lose a signal once. Of course sometimes it can take a while to scan something down but the contrast in difficulty is like day and night. Guess the main reason for this is that it's only the first part of the job. With the signal at 100% I warped to my goal feeling a bit anxious as there was another neutral in system. As soon as the overview of the relic site popped up I noticed a Heron hacking. He noticed me in an instant and there was some nervous shuffling as we both weighed down our options. I decided to target the neut. This was pure bluff being only in a probe with no tank and no weapons except some drones but it worked and he warped off pretty quick. He did stay in system and I felt him watching me as I started my first hacking mini game. This was the moment I was the most afraid of as I hate mini games and puzzle games in general. But after cracking the final node I was convinced. The mini game can be played at a pretty fast pace and it's quite intuitive and self explanatory so you don't have to spend to much attention and time to it. As I started working on my second hack, local fired up with 2 other neuts and the Heron had returned to the site. This was getting tense, my hands started shaking as I did my best to complete as many scanning sites as possible before I get scanned down by the others and before my rival takes most of the loot. The feeling I experienced reminded me of a fight a bit. I felt tense, stressed and was multitasking as much as I could.  This was quite a bit of fun, trying to complete the mini game keeping an eye on my dscan, local and the other guy on grid was an amazing and stressful experience. After I started working on the third structure two others appeared on grid and I warped away as fast as I could, good thing I was aligned! No idea what happened to my hacking competitor just hope he got away too.

As my possibilities to complete the site were gone, I headed off to a blind alley system a few jumps away and repeated the process. After a few hours of exploration I returned home with a few hundred mill in cargo. Amazed at how much fun I had doing something I was so prejudiced about and hated before and even making some nice profit on the side I docked up and went to bed satisfied and ready to dream a bit more about spaceships!

No comments:

Post a Comment